Workshop with Tom Lynch

Having spent three days in a class with Tom Lynch, I came out of all this with a whole new outlook in the applications of watercolor art.  Spent the nights dreaming in values, shading, contrast, colors and shapes, all of which apply to Tom's view of true art.

It is all like riding a horse, you learn your way only to find out it is harder to retrain yourself than if you had learned right in the first place.  I am not saying, so much, that I want to change my art.  As we all know, art is in the eyes of the beholder and we all have to develop our own technique, but when I do a piece, it is my goal to have people stare at it to discover what makes it so compelling...

Take a look at this painting of Tom's..  now who would have thought you could make a piece of art from a visual of a studio!   The unity of color, shadows and the light in this piece are dramatic and very pleasing to the eye.  I find myself searching for things as my eye travels around first to the light and then to discover what lies in the shadows.   I love it!!  And warm colors are my favorites.


Now I want to share with you a painting Tom did in class, yesterday.  He did this painting in less than a couple of hours and I enjoyed his narration of progress during the whole procedure.  Again, warm colors with some contrast of cools that I love.  It is stunning in person.  Size is approximately 15x22 and done on a watercolor paint canvas.  Much different than paper and a fairly new product.  I wasn't too impressed with this product till I saw Tom make magic with it and now can't wait to give it a try.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Memory Of

Just the beginning

Luvin' the new interior paint..