I struggled with this project even in class.  There was something missing on the first picture that I just couldn't quite put my finger on...  a tip received from a friend on FB, gave me the incentive I needed.  Go darker and perhaps some shading.

Shirley is always telling her students, and namely me, to "Go darker".  It never fails to make a big difference.

                              

This is a watercolor tip from Sterling Edwards..  I think I will frame it for my art room!!

 "One thing that I had a hard time adjusting to when I was learning to paint with watercolors was the unexpected dry back of colors. They looked so rich and intense when they were applied but then they dried back considerably lighter in value. So now what do you do? Do you go back into that area and redo the color and risk getting mud or looking overworked, or do you just leave it alone and live with the lighter value? One of the principles that I teach at workshops is what I refer to as "go dark, then go darker". This gives you an opportunity to create additional shapes and at the same time add darker and richer values to your painting.""

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just the beginning

In Memory Of

Luvin' the new interior paint..